Wednesday 16 November 2011

MY CHILDHOOD HOME

As a little girl I lived with my grandmother & my great grandparents in Niagara Falls, Ontario.  My great grandfather Pal passed away in 1971 and my great grandmother Nanna passed away in 1972 just before my 12th birthday. I have the greatest memories of living in this house with them. They were wonderful people. The house was sold in 1973. Nanna and Pal bought the house in either 1941 or 1942, my father was 8 years old at the time. I have always thought wouldn't it be great if I got to buy the house and live in it again. I miss this house. But more important is that I miss Nanna, Pal, & Gram.  I've always wondered what it would be like if I got to see the house. Well last week I got the chance.  The man who bought the house passed away last year and the house now belongs to his daughter. I found out from my cousin Cheryl that the house was have a bit of work done on it to get it ready for a renter. I sent an e-mail to Vanessa and she invited me to come and see it.  I was thrilled.
I had butterflies in my stomach on the drive down. I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought that maybe I would some how feel Nanna, Pal & Gram, sadly I did not.  The first thing that happened was I walked into the hall the house shrunk. As a little kid everything looks bigger. As an adult everything shrinks. It was pretty funny as I started to laugh. The one thing that I realized was that it was no longer Nanna & Pals house. There was a lot of changes to the house and it looked different than how I remembered it. But the one thing that remained the same was the dreaded basement.  As a kid the basement scared the hell out of me. I hated going down there. 
I'm glad that I got the chance to see the house again. Even tho I haven't lived there in 39 years in my heart it will always be Nanna & Pals house.

This pic was taken either in the 40's or 50's.

The house as it looks now.

The front hall way


The living room with original hard wood floors.

looking from the living room into the dining room.

this room was is off the dining room and the owner blew out the back wall and installed these windows

The back porch and the owner enclosed.

new kitchen cabinets

the pantry

(this was my fathers bedroom)  but Vanessa's father created this sleeping area.


the upstairs hall way.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely old house, did you go down the basement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I went into the basement. There is an old white cupboard against the wall. Dad said Pal built it. But it has not changed one bit! It's still scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful house. I'm so excited for you that you got to go back. I've often thought the same thing of my childhood home - the people who bought it after my parents got divorced, still own it. I would love to buy it from them and live in it someday. I've driven past it several times (it's in NY) but I haven't made an effort to try to see the inside. Someday, I hope!

    ReplyDelete